Click below to be directed to our online application system:
Click here for information on using our online application system and resources for developing your proposal.
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Applications due December 6, 2021
(No applications accepted after the deadline)
Awards announced March 30, 2022
Fellowship awards up to a maximum of $6,000
Awardees will have until December 31, 2023 to complete their research
The Palestinian American Research Center (PARC) announces its 23rd annual Palestinian research fellowship competition for research in the humanities and social sciences that will contribute to Palestinian Studies. Applicants must be Palestinian doctoral students or Palestinian scholars who have earned their PhD. Applicants may apply regardless of their country of residence or ID.
Information about the fellowship competition:
- Research must be in the humanities and social sciences and contribute to Palestinian Studies. Research can include inter-disciplinary studies. Scientific research is not eligible for this fellowship competition. Scientific proposals will not be considered and will not be evaluated.
- Research must take place in Palestine, Jordan, or Lebanon. Research proposals on the occupied Golan Heights are welcome if they are in a comparative framework with Palestine.
- Field research must be for a minimum of two months up to a maximum of one year.
- Individual and joint research projects are eligible for this competition, i.e. research can be done by a group of researchers.
- Applicants must be scholars who have earned their PhD, established researchers, or full-time doctoral students enrolled in a recognized degree program.
- By the time research commences, doctoral students must have fulfilled all preliminary requirements for the their degree except the dissertation. The fellowship will not cover tuition fees.
- Researchers without a doctorate but with a record of academic publication are eligible to apply (not less than 10 refereed articles).
- Master's degree holders without a record of academic publication are only eligible to apply for a joint research project with a lead researcher who holds a PhD.
- Applications are especially encouraged from and about the Gaza Strip and from PhD students and junior faculty.
- Scholars who received a PARC fellowship in the last three years as well as scholars who received two PARC fellowships are not eligible to apply.
- Palestinians who are also U.S. citizens must choose to apply either to the Palestinian Research Fellowship competition or the U.S. Research Fellowship competition. They may not apply to both competitions in the same year.
- Proposals that do not meet minimum standards or are incomplete in any fashion will not be considered.
Applications must be in English and include the following:
- Research proposal, not to exceed 2500 words including the following:
- Your research topic and research problem
- A detailed and informed literature review (with citations)
- Specific objectives and description of your research
- Theoretical significance of your study and how it advances what we know on this topic in a Palestinian context
- Your detailed methodology and time-frame for completion
- A bibliography (not part of word count)
- A 200-250 word abstract of the proposal
- Curriculum vitae (not more than 5 pages)
- Itemized research budget indicating the amount requested (not to exceed $6,000).
- For doctoral students only, a copy of Master's degree and PhD transcript(s) or a letter from the head of the department if there are no transcripts, and a list of chapters for your dissertation
- Two letters of recommendation (for doctoral students, one of which much be from the dissertation advisor)
- A scanned copy of your ID and passport information page
- A completed proposal application form
Click on the box above to be directed to our online application system.
For more information, contact:
PARC PALESTINE OFFICE
P.O. Box 549, Emil Habibi St., 4th floor Al Nahdah Bldg., Almasyoon,
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tel (02) 2974240
*Palestinians who are U.S. citizens should also visit the U.S. Fellowships page and the NEH/FPIRI Fellowships page and contact the U.S. office at email@example.com with any questions.